The nominees of the Cartoon Tributes are announced
Most of the nominated films have gone through Cartoon Movie in their development or production stage, confirming thus the outstanding importance of this event for the European animation.
Among the nominees are some of the most relevant and award-winning films and companies that have substantially contributed to the development of the European animation industry over the past year. Chosen through an e-voting platform by the roughly 900 Cartoon Movie participants, the Director, Distributor and Producer of the Year will be announced on March 5 at the Palais des Congrès in Bordeaux.
The nominees in each of the categories are:
EUROPEAN DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
- Zabou Breitman & Éléa Gobbé-Mévellec for “The Swallows of Kabul” (France)
Produced by Les Armateurs, this film is an adaptation of Yasmina Khadra’s literary fiction set in a Taliban-occupied Kabul. Actor and director Breitman first animated feature and Gobbé-Mévellec first feature film as a director was premiered in Cannes in 2019.
- Frank Mosvold & Atle Blakseth for “Ella Bella Bingo” (Norway)
Produced by Kool Produktion this story about friendship is based on the popular TV series by the same name. The film was released in January 24, 2020 in Norway, Denmark and Finland, and already sold to nearly 30 territories.
- Sergio Pablos for “Klaus” (Spain)
Written and directed by Sergio Pablos in his directorial debut, this Christmas comedy film is produced by SPA Studios and distributed by Netflix. The film won seven Annie Awards, and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2020.
EUROPEAN DISTRIBUTOR OF THE YEAR
- Filmin (Spain)
One of the first European VoD platforms, Filmin works in Spain and Portugal, and it’s focused on independent and European cinema. In 2013, it launched FilminKIDS, an exclusive channel for children between 3 and 12 years old with an extensive catalogue of over 320 films and series, 88% of which are European productions.
- Les Films du Préau (France)
Les Films du Préau is a distribution company aimed at the younger viewer that has been working with animation from all over Europe for the last two decades. “Shooom’s Odyssey”, “Zébulon le Dragon”, “Gruffalo”, “Solan & Ludvig” and “Jacob, Mimmi and the Talking Dogs”, are some of the titles the company has recently released.
- Lumière (Belgium)
Lumière Group started its activities in 1996 in Bruges as an exhibitor. In 2003 they got into the distribution business in Benelux with a wide catalogue of European films such as “I Lost My Body”, “Funan” and “Phantom Boy”.
- Outsider Films (Portugal)
Outsider Films is a Portuguese distributor specialized in independent films. Created in 2012, the company releases 16 films per year with a special focus on animation, with movies such as “Oggy and the Coackroaches”, “My Life as a Courgette”, “Loving Vincent” and “The Breadwinner” distributed in Portugal in the last three years.
EUROPEAN PRODUCER OF THE YEAR
- Atom Art (Latvia) / Letko (Poland) for “Jacob, Mimmi and the Talking Dogs”, Edmunds Jansons’ first feature film.
- Prima Linea Productions (France) / France 3 Cinéma (France) / Pathé (France) for “The Bears’ Famous Invasion” film directed by Lorenzo Mattotti.
- Trickstudio Lutterbeck (Germany) / Balance Film (Germany) / Doghouse Films (Luxembourg) / Artémis Productions (Belgium) / MAUR film (Czech Republic) for “Fritzi - A Revolutionary Tale”, a 4-countries co-production directed by Ralf Kukula & Matthias Bruhn.
- Xilam Animation (France) / Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Cinéma (France) for “I Lost my Body”, film directed by Jérémy Clapin, nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2020,